How to move your website to Active-Venture.com
To avoid any unnecessary disruption and downtime to your existing web site, we recommend that you following the steps below when moving your website to our hosting service:
1. Sign up for one of our hosting plans. After your account has been set up, you will receive an activation email with your account login information.
2. You need to backup and download all of your web site files, images, and databases from your existing web host’s server to your own computer.
3. Upload all your files to your new hosting account on our server. Please be sure that you are uploading them to the correct directory. You may refer to the activation email for the actual name of your home directory.
4. Double check that all your CGI scripts will run properly. Some of them may require editing because of the following reasons:
Path to Perl is not correct for the new server (it’s at /usr/bin/perl)
Path to Sendmail is not correct for the new server (it’s at /usr/sbin/sendmail)
The script includes a domain name variable so you will have to wait for propagation of your domain
The script includes a server path variable like /home/domain/cgi-bin which you may find in the activation email or the control panel of your account
Do remember that you need to set the file permission correctly on the new server too.
5. Create your email accounts through our Control Panel. You should create at least the same number of email accounts on your current web host’s server so that you will not lose any mails.
6. The final step in this procedure is to change your DNS/Nameserver record with the registrar of your domain name. You should not do this until you are absolutely sure your new site contains all the necessary files and everything is working properly. Once you are certain about this, you should log into your domain name registrar’s web site and set your DNS servers to the following settings:
This change will take about 48 hours to be effective. In rare cases, it can take up to 5 days with some ISPs. You will be able to view your web site content with your domain name once the DNS record is propagated after 48 hours.
Important: Do not cancel your old hosting account yet. This provides you with a measure of protection in case you left out some files and during the propagation of your new site, some emails will still go to the mail server of your previous web host. You should only cancel your existing hosting account after you are sure that the new site is working properly and all emails are delivered to the mail boxes on our server.
Still not sure how to proceed?
We understand that moving your existing web site can be a time-consuming and complicated process. That’s why we are here to help. If you are still unsure how to move your web site after reading the above instructions, send us a request from our support centre and provide us the following FTP information of your existing hosting account:
FTP Server Address:
Home Directory Path:
We will move all the existing contents of your web site to our server within 48 hours. Please note that this is only a migration of files for your account. You will still need to edit or configure your CGI scripts, if necessary, after they are moved to our server.
Thank you for choosing Active-Venture.com.